“We gave our proposal, I have already said, I want to repeat once again: until the end of the year we are ready to simply take and extend the current START-3 agreement. If tomorrow the United States sends a letter, at least by mail. So far, there is no answer, ”said the President of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin at a big press conference on December 19th.
The American side insists on the development of a new document, which China will join, citing the fact that since the signing of START-3 in 2011, the balance of power between the great powers has changed, but Beijing categorically denies this possibility.
“If there is no START-3, then there will be nothing in the world that holds back the arms race,” Putin warned.
On August 2, the United States unilaterally withdrew from the agreement on the elimination of intermediate and shorter-range missiles (INF Treaty), as a result of which the document lost its force.