Earlier, the head of the Russian contact group on the intra-Libyan settlement, Lev Dengov, said that the head of the Tripoli government of Libya’s national accord, Fayez Sarraj, will go to Turkey on Sunday, where he will meet with President Tayyip Erdogan and discuss a further settlement in Libya.
Earlier, the presidents of Russia and Turkey, Vladimir Putin and Tayyip Erdogan, agreed on a common position on Libya and called on all parties to cease fire from 00:00 on Sunday, January 12, and immediately sit down at the negotiating table. However, the commander of the LNA, Khalifa Haftar, said he welcomed this initiative, but would continue the offensive on Tripoli, which has been ongoing since April last year. In turn, the head of the internationally recognized government of national unity of Libya, Sarraj, said on Saturday during a visit to Italy that he welcomed the ceasefire initiative, but subject to the withdrawal of LNA units.
On Sunday night, the LNA nevertheless announced the cessation of hostilities in the west of Libya, noting in its statement that "the other side must also adhere to this truce," otherwise, a harsh answer awaits its violation.
The PNS also announced its intention to abide by the proposed armistice.